View Single Post

Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,702 Times in 2,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I recently traded into a pretty early 4th Change... a brown (formerly blue) 6" with OK original style (no SN visible) walnut, no medallion diamond grips. I assume it is pretty early because the SN (matching all over gun) is 758XX. I assume further that I have the pre-heat treated cylinder, hence my first question. Is this a safe revolver to use with FACTORY pistol ammo? I will be reloading very mild loads based on Unique and the classic 3118 Ideal bullet as brass accumulates.

Another line of questions; in view of the rather sad cosmetic state of the gun currently, is refinishing or perhaps even customizing a reasonable plan for this piece? If I DO go about rebuilding it, can I use standard K-frame parts from a similar vintage .38 such as a Victory? Also, could I rebore a pre-war .22 cylinder (if I can find one) for a .32 long S&W? I'm thinking WonderSights for my sight upgrade and then grips based on whatever finish I finally settle upon. What think ye??

TIA ~ Froggie
As long as you don't try to fire the .32-20 rounds that are loaded for use in rifles, you should be OK. If it's labeled for revolver use, or if you load to those pressures, you'll be fine.

In general, M1905 lockwork is M1905 lockwork regardless of whether the guns are .38s or .32-20s. But remember that some parts are carefully fitted to the gun in which they find themselves, so expect a little work if you start mixing parts. Maybe you can just drop in a hammer or DA sear, or maybe not. You never know until you try.

Not all K-frame cylinders are the same length, so I don't know how easy it would be to convert a .22 cylinder to .32. Remember that the .22 K-frame cylinders were all counterbored to surround the cartridge rim, whereas the centerfire chamberings of the day (.357 Magnum excluded) did NOT go into recessed charge holes. Some artistry might be involved in making one of those work. Perhaps there would be an option to sleeve a .38 cylinder? You'd need to fabricate a proper star, however.