View Single Post

Old 11-22-2010, 03:44 AM
US Veteran

Liked 249 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdan View Post
How is it still possible to shoot 45Colt in this gun that you have cut the cylinder to accept clipped 45ACP? Won't you have excessive headspace for the original 45Colt cartridge? I have a 625-6 MG in 45Colt. While clipped 45ACP or 45AR brass will chamber and extract, you cannot close the cylinder with that brass. How does one machine the cylinder to fit 45ACP or AR and still get the firing pin to light off a 45Colt???.........safely, if at all!
Sir, as I understand it, such conversions are cut out only enough for a full-moon clip. That is, they're cut deeper on the inside (ratchet side) of the chambers to accommodate the clips and leave the cylinder full length at the outside. .45 Colts headspace on the remaining outside "lip," so to speak, while full-moon-clipped .45 ACPs are allowed to drop in deeper. The old WWI half-moon clips do not work in such conversions.

I've seen photos of such conversions that would help explain this better than I'm doing, but I can't find one right off. Perhaps someone else can post one.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.