View Single Post

Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 AM

Liked 3,889 Times in 1,361 Posts

Maybe a better term is "single shot shotgun"? I'm asking, not telling, since pumps and autos technically have a "single barrel", and are simply fed extra shells from a magazine.

There was a 16 gauge Stevens that kicked around in my family for years. I think it is still sitting in my mother's closet. When I grew up, my grandfather had it. It sat on the steps leading up to the attic. After my grandfather died, we found three rounds of buckshot that he'd kept sitting next to it and a partial box of old Federal paper hull birdshot.

Before he had it, it belonged to my great grandmother as the farm gun. She gave it to great uncle Nicky who used to take it with him on his job as bus driver in Detroit, including during the riots. Family legend has it that at one point he was threatened by a group who mentioned that he only had one shot, and he responded by asking which of them wanted to take that one shot. When no one did, he threw them off his bus.

I've only owned two such guns. I had a break top NEF Tamer in .410 that was a lot of fun to shoot, but that I sold to a friend so that his son could learn to kill rabbits. I still have a cut down NEF 12 gauge - legal length - painted camo that I traded for. I've been meaning to put it in a Choate stock or something more useful, just haven't got around to it.
The Following User Likes This Post: