View Single Post

Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer-mark View Post
Finally, the air filtration in indoor shooting ranges is dictated by the State and Federal EPA. Remember the standard is zero (or as low as modern scientific means can measure it). How much lead do you think is actually vaporized when a lead bullet is fired? At worse some is left on the barrel lands but I really doubt any is vaporized into the air. Certainly not enough to be measured. For those people who have had their blood lever checked and the findings were positive do a really test. Stay away from shooting for a month or two and get your blood checked.
Well, Mark, I have to politely agree and disagree here. Following and dictation is two different things altogether. I know that our indoor range is neither controlled nor checked for that matter. Of course, I live in a rural type area now. No major cities within a 3 hour drive. I did grow up in Detroit and L.A so maybe the other part of your post I can agree with, you know, the learning disability thing!

As for the lead level going down, I can tell you that that is just what has happened to me. Shooting competition, lead bullets and indoor, there is much more vaporized lead in the air at those times than if you shoot by yourself.

10 guys on the line, each shooting 12 shots in 20 seconds and all with lead bullets can put a big cloud in the air. One that no air handler can manage. My blood level was 32PPM when I first had it checked. I was shooting competition every week and the range officer when I wasn't shooting. That meant that I was on the range even when I wasn't shooting. Then, I practiced at least once a week, which consisted of running the course of fire twice at least, plus my loads that I was working up for other things, plus reloading, plus cleaning brass, plus casting and lubing. So, I had my hands on a lot of lead and my lungs in a lot of vaporized lead.

I took a month off to see what would happen to my blood levels and they came down to 25PPM. So, I guess I kind of proved your theory, it does matter.

To the average shooter, under 100 rounds per session, by their selves in the range, you may not have a problem. The fact is though, shooting lead indoors does matter.