View Single Post

Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 PM

Liked 3,829 Times in 851 Posts

Just got this Model 14 "no dash" from Express Police Supply. They took several 14's and a 36 in trade from the Kirkwood, MO Police Dept. They were selling the 14's for $350 and when I called to get descriptions of what they had the young fella I spoke to tried to describe the Bomar rib and I knew exactly what he had. He sent me some pics and as soon as I opened them I called him back and bought the gun. I've never shot PPC but I thought it would be cool to have a vintage competition gun to play with.

The gun turned out to be in much better shape than I had anticipated, I'd say close to 95%. It was clearly well taken care and not abused. In addition to the Bomar sight rib, the hammer has been bobbed and polished, the formerly serrated trigger has been smoothed and rounded and a trigger stop made of silicone built up on the back of it. The serial number dates the gun to 1960 and all of the serialized parts match. The grips are stamped 4/1982 and are quite worn, in fact, the S&W emblem on the right grip panel is worn almost smooth. It's definitely seen plenty of use but it sure doesn't look like it except for the ejector rod, which has had most all of the finish worn off of it. The action is butter smooth and very light, enough so that I had a couple of light strikes when I test fired it wth Speer 130gr FMJ.

Anyway, I think it's a pretty cool old piece. I'm going to give Kirkwood PD a call and see if someone there can fill me in on some of the gun's history.
Here's some pics -