Thread: It was my turn
View Single Post

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Smile It was my turn

I read a number of posts where a member will come across a once in a lifetime deal, and post what he found. In a lifetime I have never been that guy! It would seem as thou I find out about it (normally) two weeks later. Last weekend it was my turn.
A friend's brother passed away from cancer at the age of 58. Had a charter boat business in the Carolina's and was very succussful. Being unmarried he bought just about anything he wanted. After fishing is second love was duck hunting. He was into it to the point he bought carved ducks that are about 70% fininshed, and finished them himself. If there was one there were 20. Each a work of art. The family wanted to keep them and rightfully so. As for shotguns they ranged from "look what I own" to beatie boys.
When I first saw them, several caught my eye. The two I kept picking up and handling were a Browning A5 magnum 12 built in 83 (one rub mark near the end of the barrel and a small nick on the stock) the other was the new Winchester Xs3. There were more expensive guns in the collection, but these two were the top end of my dream and money list! After a few minutes I came down to what I could afford and asked what he would take for a well used Mossburg 500. He must have been watching me closer than I thought! He picked up the Browning and the Winchester and asked me " how about these two for a grand?" The Winchester will bring almost that by itself, used! I now own two of the (TO ME) finest shotguns made.
On a whim more than any thing I asked If his brother was into handguns and he said "not really." He had found a 9MM Springfield that he was keeping and a revolver that he had put away because of the kids. When I asked who had made it he said he wasn't sure, and with that went upstairs. I was about to say, "never mind" when he said, "found it." Comes down the stairs with a S&W blue box. Thinking back, I think my heart was racing faster than it was on my first date! In the box was a same as new model 686-6 (seven shot)! He said his brother hadn't shot it much and really not sure why he bought it. I asked what kind of money took it home? Because I had bought the shotguns he'd take $300 for it. I asked ,"are you sure?" and he gave me one of those why not looks. He said I could have the box of ammo his brother had bought when he got the gun. Box of Winchester white box with fouteen (14) rounds missing.
That will be aweekend I'll never forget!

Last edited by just for fun; 12-03-2010 at 08:38 PM.