Thread: 629 advice
View Single Post

Old 12-03-2010, 09:10 PM

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBarbJr View Post
I'm a proud new owner of a .44 magnum. I've been wanting this S&W model of revolver for quite some time. I happened to come across a very clean used one, 6.5 inch barrel with the muzzle port. I'm open to any feedback about recommended ammo/technique/distance etc. when I start out at the range. I also plan on eventually scoping it and using it for hunting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Congrates on owning the finest mass produced revolver on the market! Hunting with anything bigger than a 44 handgun (IMHO) calls for a rifle!
Many may recomend unique powder for reloading 44's (this will be the "next step" in 44 ownership) Unique has two "features" no one can deny, it's beyond dirty and it has never measured well. light loads (read practice) of 5.5 bullseye or 6.5 231 and a 240 lead bullet will make for hours of fun shooting. 2400 or 296 for when it time to go hunting.
You also may hear about going easy on hunting loads when shooting a Smith. To date that seems to be internet bull! The light loads above are not because of the gun, but for YOU. When asked for proof about a Smith shooting loose, it's always the same old story,"Well, a friend of a friend's buddy----! May your new 629 bring you as many,or more smiles that mind has given me. (Still a one hand rifle out to 50 yds and that is with very old eyes)