Thread: Pie Plate Logic
View Single Post

Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 PM

Liked 95 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Yes I agree in spades. I think the tendency to go for full sight alignment and discard instinct shooting at appropriate close ranges has a lot to do with the trainer's fear of civil liability for teaching someone to shoot without using the sights. But I also believe that the training costs associated with instinct shooting are probably going to make most basic pistol training courses unaffordable to most gun owners because of the time and ammunition required to bring the student up to an acceptable level of proficiency.

Instinct shooting is like landing an airplane at night.....you have to practice in order to stay good at it. And I believe that this, coupled with the liability issues inherent in teaching people to shoot without sights, is a major reason why a lot of instructors won't teach instinct shooting any more.....non-police students usually won't practice it enough to stay good at it. And when they hit the school kid on the bus bench instead of the badguy they were being confronted by, the instructor who taught them to shoot without sights will probably be named in any subsequent lawsuit. I don't look for this to change any time soon, I'm sorry to say. Rant ended.

JayPee
Many different shooting programs still teach point shooting, or "instinctive shooting" techniques. In fact, even the civilian NRA Personal Protection courses teach point shooting and shooting from retention. Most every CQB class, civilian or LEO, will teach several different methods of retention shooting. But I can't say I know of any reputable programs that are ONLY teaching point shooting.