View Single Post

Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Liked 690 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 147_Grain View Post
I generally agree with you, except for these two points:

Civilians not being asaggressive as LE officers is completely different than having more latitude or flexibility. Agree with you about being given more flexibility, particularly if its a defenseless women and in other circumstances. This is a whole 'nother issue.

Also, a jury of your peers isn't likely to frown upon you if you use ammo the LE Community uses and not the brand your LOCAL PD is issued. Example: Local PD uses Speer Gold Dot and you use Winchester or Federal that many other LE Agencies use.
I'm not comfortable with the term "aggressive," for either civilians or LE. Every SD situtaion I've investigated/examined, the issue has always been "defensive," even for LE. Unlike the military, LE is not supposed to be "offensive," although SWAT-type operations may appear that way. The goal is to use minimum force to achieve the ends, the force level being determined by the offender, not LE.
I believe LE has more restrictions, primarily through administrative means, on their responses to deadly encounters, and "aggressive" is not a term that an LE supervisor would want to describe the manner in which a deadly force situation was resolved.
Similarly, civilians have "restrictions" in their actions. While it is not only acceptable, but encouraged, for LE to wear a ballistic vest, a civilian wearing one as part of their daily attire (assuming they are not in a occupation where it would be acceptable) could be considered "looking for trouble" or perhaps delusional.
I agree that a civilian does not have to carry what the local LE carries, but using an LE standard, i.e., "I carry what the FBI, state police, etc. carries," is perfectly defensible.