View Single Post

Old 12-10-2010, 12:26 AM
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

Is there any reference to the name "Smith & Wesson" on these knives? S&W and Franklin Mint are not friends. At least they were not for some years, unless current S&W management has forgotten the beef with Franklin Mint. The bottom knife in your display has what appears to be a representation of Wyatt Earp's engraved American Model. Some years ago, Franklin Mint put out a series of replica Old West revolvers, including an engraved American Model. The replica was alledged to be a copy of Wyatt Earp's engraved American model which was claimed to have been used by him in the famous shoot out at the OK Corral. The original gun was displayed for years at the Wyatt Earp museum in Tombstone, AZ. as used by Earp in the shoot out. In 1972 I visited the Museum and examined the gun. I noticed the serial number , 29002, was shipped some time after the OK Corral gun fight, so I informed the owner that the gun was never at the OK Corral gun fight, regardless of who owned it. He was not happy, but did not cease his claim of the provenance. Later Franklin Mint made a deal with the owner to produce a replica for their series, with a booklet and affadavit claiming it's use by Earp at the OK Corral. When Franklin informed me of their plans, I told them the claim was spurious, etc. but they went ahead with the production. I informed S&W management of this and S&W sued Franklin Mint and made them take S&W's name off the barrel rib of the replica. That's not to say, current S&W management, which is licensing everything from fruits to nuts, to use the S&W logo and name, may not have now licensed Franklin to make these knives. Check out the new series of S&W belt buckles coming out from Bradford Exchange! Ed.