View Single Post

Old 12-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Liked 6,334 Times in 1,982 Posts

Sorry, but an angry, charging grizzly doesn't care that the prey is a girl, doesn't like revolvers or doesn't have $1100 (by the way, you can get a new Ruger Redhawk in 45LC or 44 mag for $645). I know I'm wasting my breath here, because it's obvious no argument will convince you that a 10mm is inadequate, whether fired from a SIG, a Colt or the much-worshipped Glock. CAN you kill a bear with one? Sure. I'm sure that somewhere, sometime a grizzly has been killed by a lucky shot from a .22. Of course the 10mm is better than nothing. But look at your own stats re: energy of a 10mm vs. 44 mag or 454. As far as the 15 round capacity, if she has time to get off 15 rounds, it's probably not a self-defense situation, Grizzly attacks are often quick, without warning, in cover and at short distances. I would also suggest that hollow points are not the best choice. With bears, especially the big bears, penetration is more important than expansion. One of the hollow points we recovered from my black bear penetrated the hide, hit a rib, and stopped without really doing any damage.

Of course, the up side is that the odds of being attacked are, statistically speaking, almost zero. If your friend is that concerned, though, I would suggest she either learn to deal with heavier recoil or travel with someone who is adequately armed.