View Single Post

Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,719 Times in 724 Posts

Back in the mid '60's my wife gave me two West German PPK/s pistols. One .380 and one .22. At that time the .380 PPK was about the smallest "effective" pistol you could buy. (The only one comparable was the Mauser HSc.). Because the .380 ammo was expensive to plink with the .22 was a great training piece. I carried the .380 for a number of years in everything from jeans to tuxedos. When smaller pistols became available several years ago I sold both of the Walthers.

Both pistols were excellent workmanship, and I don't ever recall a malfunction with either. The biggest negative had to do with the blow-back action. Because of the unlocked breech a very strong recoil spring is necessary and consequently a great deal of strength is required to retract the slide. My wife never could reliably do it. The blow-back recoil is significant for such a small cartridge. I actually found it more uncomfortable than a .357 in a K frame revolver. Some folks complain of the slide cutting "railroad tracks" on their hand but I never had that problem.

I once shot an armadillo dead center with a .380 Super-Vel in the PPK/s and the beast ran about 50 yards before succumbing. That led me to push the .380 down to the bottom of my "must have" list. I still carry a Kel-Tec .380 but only as a tertiary carry piece (and it is MUCH smaller than the PPK/s).

Bob

Last edited by bettis1; 12-12-2010 at 08:43 PM.