Thread: Combat Magnums?
View Single Post

Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Liked 8,248 Times in 2,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_D View Post
There's Combat Magnums and there's Combat Magnums, if you get my drift.

My preference is for the real deal .357 Combat Magnum or "Pre-Model 19" as some call it. Produced from 1955 (starting at K260001) until model marked in 1957 as the Model 19. As I understand it, Bill Jordan's input in the design was invaluable. Beautiful gun to carry, as well as shoot.

Out of all of my CMs here's my own favorite, courtesy of Papalondog. I believe he may have a few more like it tucked away.

Attachment 32703

S/N K2609XX

And don't get me wrong, that Model 19 S/N 1 unit of Mike's is fabulous. A true piece of Americana.
I appreciate all the pics but these early ones are the ones I was really looking for. I just don't remember physically seeing a pre 19 or a M19 or even a M19-1 for sale. I've only seen a couple of -2s that I remember and one of those had been re-nickeled.
I should have ask in my first post, for the ones that have the pre 19s with target grips, is the serial number stamped in the right grip panel?
The reason I ask is I have a set of grips with an early CM serial number stamped in them. Was wondering if most came this way.