Thread: Boy did I goof.
View Single Post

Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 PM

Liked 28,236 Times in 5,273 Posts
Default Boy did I goof.

The title of this thread should really be the perils of having too many friends.

Recently, I posted a thread about a wonderful set of grips I had just received.

I got the grips the same day I had knee surgery and my wife brought the envelope in and handed it to me. I opened it and found the grips.

To say that I was as excited as a puppy in a room full of rubber balls is an understatement.

My wife is use to me getting packages from a Dave, so she gathered up the envelope and the packing and threw it away.

The package had a note in it from Dave. I did the ASSUME thing and shore enuff, it made an *** out of me.

You see I been wheelin' and dealin' and visitin' with Dave Keith about his holsters and gun rigs for quite some time. He has a propensity for sendin' stuff and not takin' credit for it.
When I tried to thank him for the grips, he said he din't know nuthin' about any grips. I thought he was just up to more of his antics.

He had just had a thread on here about an old 44 he had picked up, and he sent me a picture of a set of ivory grips he got from another one the generous members of this forum (This generosity thing is contagious) and I just figgered... Well I figgered wrong.

I got another good friend named Dave here on this forum.

He's Dave McCombie from CA. He goes by Davwingman here.

He's been prairie dog huntin' out on the Carlin ranch and we been chattin' back and forth for some time. He's another guy that is generous to a fault.

I got a couple of e-mails from him the last few days that had me plumb bumfuzzled and bein' denser than an anvil, I din't make the connection.
Sometimes you got to hit a mule between the eyes to git his attention. I think it was the happy pills I'm takin'. It's the onliest excuse I got and I'm gonna ride it to death!!

Well those beautiful grips was from Davwingman Dave and not keith44special Dave from Texas.

Now Texas Dave kinda figgered I was settin' him up for sumthin' so he just played along for while.

I am shocked that anyone would think that of pore ol Iggy!!

Well, eventually them two Daves got together and decided to let me wave out there in the wind for a while and see if I caught on.

Well bein' dumber than a box of rocks, I din't!!

So finally the two of the let me in on it today, and CA Dave just heard me let out a beller of embarrassment clear out there in California.

So I'm standin' here kickin' a dirt clod around and twistin' my Stetson in my hands in embarrassment, and figgerin' how I'm gonna git even with two mighty fine and generous fellers.

CA Dave, as I said in my e-mail, I've got you to thank for the wonderful grips and kickin' me off the fence to get a fancy rig from TX Dave that I can combine with that fine lookin' gun. This will give me somethin' with a wonderful tale to go with it to pass along to my son and grandson someday when I'm through struttin all over Wyoming with it. That tree has your name on it in June.

You two fellers have made this one dang fine and memorable Christmas for an old geezer, and that's "plumb center."

Merry Christmas to you two and all of the rest of this forum.

Regards,
Iggy

Last edited by Iggy; 12-16-2010 at 08:14 PM.