View Single Post

Old 12-24-2010, 02:14 AM

Liked 129 Times in 58 Posts

I have three Dillon Square Deal presses and got tired of using the allen wrenches of differing sizes so I replaced most with phillips-head screws. On size (screwdriver) now fits all.

I also put an extended thumb-screw with a lock nut on the powder bottle to rid myself of that allen screw as well.

Went to the Office Depot and bought some sticky dots to paste on the side of the powder bottles for caliber, load data and weight verification. I use a different sticky dot for each part...bullet weight is one dot, powder and charge another, weight verification another, etc.

Since the WW primers come in a container that doesn't need a primer tray to be shaken, I filled the convoluted side of the primer tray with a foam filler....it's actually drawer liner. I turn that half over, put the factory package up to it an turn it right-side-up. Then put the smooth side in place and turn it over once again and start using the primer tube. Without the foam piece, the primers need to be shaken to turn them all right-side-up. It simply takes up the slack so that I bypass that step.

I took the vise concept a lot further. I made a metal plate with an 'I' beam welded to the underside to chuck it in my vise. However, the plate has provisions (drilled & tapped) for four Square Deals on it. (Three are mounted right now.) Since the vise can spin about 230° I can access each loader without removing the plate. Works REALLY well. (I will post a picture over the weekend.) Plus, I can use the loader to the lefts loaded round box as my bullet feed box.

Since the plate in the vise hangs the loaders beyond the edge of the bench, I got rid of the primer catcher cup and simply use a small trash can on the floor under the loader, spent primers rarely miss the can.

I bought an elongated loaded round drop box to hang on these loaders. I trimmed about 1/8" off of the blue stock box rail at the open end and it fits perfectly side-ways (perpendicular) on the elongated box, leaving enough space for the loaded rounds to still drop into the elongated box by sliding it to the right. I then use the side-ways box as the empty brass feed box.

At the bullet seating station the SDB has a small hole drilled through the die. I opened this hole large enough, but didn't drill completely though it, to be able to put one of those bendable, extended lights into that hole. It shines directly into the case for verifying powder content. I sometimes forget to turn it off after loading though, gotta figure something out there.

Last edited by socal s&w; 12-24-2010 at 04:32 PM.