View Single Post

Old 12-24-2010, 04:09 PM

Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Default More information added

Adding a note here, as I mentioned before;
I am a retired Aerospace CAD/CAM/CNC Manufacturing Engineer/Plant Manager.

All barrels would be manufactured on CNC Turning Centers (Lathes) and CNC Machining Centers (Mills)
To the latest ANSI/SAAMI Chamber Specifications and standard SAE and JIS thread specifications.
Included would be Centerless Grinding operations and Glass Bead Blast surface finishing, like the satin factory finish.
All barrels would be engraved to identify the calibers.

All of which means MATCH GRADE Barrel Tolerances.
Not what comes out the factory or mass production shops as some of us have experienced many times.

I neglected to mention that there is the opportunity to have your barrel threaded here also, with your choice of thread.
The friend of mine that I am working with on this project has a CNC manufacturing facility and the FFL license to manufacture firearms and also silencers.
We have not finalized which grade of steel we are going to produce the barrels out of yet.
I'm thinking it will either be 410, 416 SS or we could opt for a stronger 4140 Chrome Moly Steel but it would be delivered to you in the “White” state, not blued.

I am venturing into this because it is something that I have always wanted to do this with my 10XX series firearms and
I love to tinker in different caliber interchangeabilities as some of you may already know.
I'll just make many more to share.....................
The cost is to be determined based on covering the material and production costs.
The factory charges about $125 for a stock replacement barrel when they are in stock, Numrich gets around $133.35 and again, when they are in stock.
They will be more expensive than a factory replacement barrel from Smith and Wesson, this I can say with certainty, as I'm sure you all know.
What we are planning on manufacturing is a barrel that would be far superior to the barrel manufactures that I see out there pedaling their goods at prices between $150.00 and $300.00+

Hey, I've paid $80 to $130 for grips ranging from modified factory plastic to exotic wood all for the looks and of course also the feel.
These barrels will be precision machined steel and are specifically designed to enhance the range of functionality of your gun [shooting ammo], cheaper and/or faster/more accurate rounds.

Another additional note;
We are looking at also producing extended slide stops for the many different frame widths of the third gens and also extended magazine release buttons and a button to replace the decocking lever on the right side of the ambi safety/decocking levers.

As I mentioned before, this is all in the early stages of the whole process.
Please be patient.
I am happy that I have been overwhelmed with responses I have received. but it takes allot of time to go through the emails and respond.
Please use this email, [email protected] for any and all questions on this endeavor.
(Bad_Man_One) not this (Bad Man One)
You need to use the underbars between the words (not spaces) that get deleted by the computer underlining it as an email address.

Thank you all again and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Best regards,
Bad_Man_One
The Following User Likes This Post: