View Single Post

Old 12-24-2010, 09:39 PM

Liked 111 Times in 59 Posts

I'm in ridgeway's camp. I have yet to see a pic of a 696 with a split forcing cone. I've had mine for a long time.......CBN-xxxx.......a lower serial number than is noted in SCSW #3. I purchased this gun new and got it because I handload and was well aware of the potential of the 44Special in a compact platform. I've shot plenty of Hornady 180gr.XTP's that clock just over 1100 fps. in my gun. This is a load that pushes 500 ft/lbs. in energy. I can also tell you that this gun has tight cylinder throats..........429 in my example, which is typical of latter S&W .44cal. revolvers. When just plinking with this gun, I have found that lead bullets sized at .429 shoot just as accurately as bullets sized at .430. If you are concerned with forcing cone weakness, just shoot .429 bullets at typical 44Special velocities. Smith stopped making the L-frame 44Special due to LACK OF SALES! Not to mention, the only self-defense load that was commercially available was the Hornady Custom 180gr. followed latter by the CCI 200gr. GD..........Translation: not much public enthusiasm for the 44Special in a carry gun. Check the time frame when these were introduced.........the age of high capacity wondernines and 40's.........both of which were being continually downsized into more compact platforms. When my forcing cone splits, I will be right here with the pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 696.jpg (71.9 KB, 64 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: