View Single Post

Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM

Liked 516 Times in 64 Posts
Default Custom Grip Adaptor Question (Tyler T-Grip Style)

The T-Grip has been around for about, what? A bit over four or five decades? The only competition for them was the Pachmayr grip adaptor made of plastic and they're not in production anymore.

I really like my factory S&W, Colt, and Ruger wood grips and the T-Grip makes them fit my hands much better without having to buy custom grips that change the appearance of the gun. I guess that's why millions of others buy T-Grips too.

Tyler's is a bit of a challenge to order from. In this day of "click and pay" on the internet, it is a bit of a bother to print out their order form and mail in a check. I understand that they're a very small, family run business and that health issues have caused delays in orders. Currently their website says 8+ weeks to produce T-Grips (that doesn't include shipping time either).

With the prices of used T-Grips becoming astronomical, how come someone doesn't create their own version of a grip adaptor? Would their be interest in a more reasonably priced version? Would their be interest in a custom made grip adaptor?

I have a S&W Model 40-1 in nickel. I really like the factory walnut grips with the factory medallions. Because the Centennial has the grip safety, boot style grips are not an option. The Tyler T-Grip works great. But it's not very well contoured at the bottom. That doesn't matter much from a practical standpoint but it sure looks lousy under close inspection.

I was wondering how a walnut version of a grip adaptor would look? I don't need the finger groove that the Tyler T-Grip has and actually it doesn't fit my big hands very well.

If the wood grip adaptor matched the factory walnut grips (actually pressed and laser checkered walnut from Altamont), I think it might look pretty neat.

I'm going to see about making a prototype out of walnut. If it works out well, I'll post pics....
The Following User Likes This Post: