View Single Post

Old 12-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Liked 116 Times in 44 Posts
Default "Dash" "No Dash" scheme, N frames

I've been using S&W revolvers for several decades, not so much for collection as purely shooting (and taking good care of them). I have become interested in the scheme and chronological order for some of these guns. In addition, I'd like to date a few of them if folks here have the tables to do that.

To the first point, I have a couple of M57s, N473XXX (4") and N671XXX (6"), both of which are "no dash" models. I have another, N325XXX (8 3/8") that appears to be an M57-2, but the model stamping inside the crane area is very sloppy. It almost appears to be an over strike of "M57-0" over the "M57-2" in this area. Any ideas? All of the guns appear the same model, save for barrel lengths - all P&R, RR, TT/TH, TS.

I also have a M27-2, N611XXX (5"), that I bought new in 1981 (but it had been on the shelf for several years, I believe). Any logic to the serial numbers among different models? I suspect this revolver was made about the time of the shorter barrelled M57s above, but have no reference for this.

Another interesting example is that of a now-departed M29-2, N403XXX, that I bought new in 1977 (and wore out, btw). Same questions about sequence/model/production chronology.

I'd sure be interested in the production dates of these revolvers as well; hope this may be useful to others here too. Thanks in advance.