View Single Post

Old 01-03-2011, 04:23 AM

Liked 3,814 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Lever gun Range Time

Took both my lever guns out for a spin today, an 1894 in .44 and an 1895 45-70 guide gun.

Did some fine tuning on the scope with the .44, holy Zots - it's a shooter! I'd heard the stories about microgroove not working with cast, but no problems shooting my 265g boolits. I only size the grease grooves, always done it that way. I read a Skeeter article years back and since then I leave the front driving band as cast. Apparently it's working with this Marlin.

I was able to get cloverleaf groups at 50 yards and then I beat the gongs like rented mules at 100 yards. Real handy size rifle and lots of power.

Cleaning time and I found the spring in the ejector broken. Still ejected, but I got on Brownells and ordered a Bear proof ejector since they were out of OEM ejectors. I'll eventually find a spring and repair this one and have it as a spare.

45-70 was a hoot! I shot 80 of my own reloads in both trapdoor and lever pressures. I had 350 and 420g home cast boolits and both weights were loaded at the two power levels mentioned.

My shoulder felt like someone worked it over with a hammer. That said, being on the business end would definitely be less pleasant. When I worked over the gongs with the 420g lever loads, the flaps went horizontal.

I watched guys with bolt guns in .308 hit 'em, but the 45-70 showed 'em how it was done.

My favorite loads were the 420g at trapdoor power (1400fps) and the 350 at lever power (1800fps). The 420g at 1650fps were harsh, but I could see where they would work for the right application. The 350g at 1400fps just didn't seem to have the bite, but they hit hard just the same.

The 45-70 is a GBL and I mounted a 2.5 power Leupold Scout scope on it. Perfect for pig or deer out to 100 yards or so or heavy brush. The .44 has an old Leupold 2x7 and that 's really nice too.

Got home, cleaned the rifles and reloaded all the brass. Now I'm ready to do it all over again... as soon as the bruise on my shoulder goes away.

In fairness, the GBL had a butt pad and it wasn't until shot # 30 rolled around that my shoulder felt like a veal cutlet. Only 50 more shots to go...