View Single Post

Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Liked 5,214 Times in 2,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdan View Post
<You don't pound lead into a bore by shooting jacketed bullets through it.>

Perhaps "pounding" is not the best word. I guess you have to see this to believe it. I have cleaned copper fouling from barrels with the Foul-Out system, and then changed solutions and then removed more lead fouling. Those steel rods the fouling gets plated to, don't lie. The copper color is very distinct on the rod. The lead fouling is a soft gray that can be wiped off the rod with a paper towel. Now how did that lead remain in the barrel when that copper jacketed bullet "scoured" it out of there??? On really neglected barrels you can actually find copper/lead fouling laid down almost like layers of laminate. I'm betting some folks have never seen a really clean barrel through a borescope. You just think your barrel is clean, and it is most likely clean enough for general and safe use.
You're right, of course, but I usually abstain from such discussions because the people who don't use the high-tech equipment to inspect and clean bores "know for dang sure" what they see with their eyes.
The saving grace to leaving the bore fouled with lead and copper is that most people can't shoot a handgun well enough to tell the difference. Look at the number of people who buy and swear by their boresnakes to keep their guns "clean."

A well-known custom barrel maker confided to me that half the "shot out" rifle barrels he replaces are merely too fouled to shoot accurately. They could be cured with the Foul Out, but the owner ordered a new barrel, so that's what he gets. You can lose a customer by telling him he doesn't know how to clean a barrel.

Last edited by OKFC05; 01-04-2011 at 12:36 PM.