View Single Post

Old 01-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Thumbs up Just a word of caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelCD View Post
Hodgdon lists a charge of 7.0gr with pressures of only 15,500 CUP in .357 Magnum brass using a Magnum primer. Granted the Magnum case is 1/8" longer but it's hard to believe you can increase the charge weight that much and have such low pressure from only 1/8" more capacity. This is only my opinion, I'm not telling anyone to do something they feel is unsafe. I'm only thinking out loud and extrapolating data.
The one thing I notice about the 357Mag data and the XTP bullet is how fast pressures rise with such a little increase in powder.

Tony, we have talked about this before only on a different load.(I don't remember now which one!) There is very little "wiggle room" in some of the data for HS-6. What I have seen before, both in published data and in real life tests, it that some powders (haven't tried this with HS-6 myself though) small changes means big differences in pressure. Case in point: Clays.

Maybe I'm "over thinking" this but it would seem that Hodgdon seems to think that is true about HS-6.

I know that I have had better results with SR4756 when building 38spl +P loads.

Just me though and I wouldn't be afraid to use any of the loads posted by ArchAngle.

FWIW