View Single Post

Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Default made first batch of Ed's red

And I like it. I used the lanolin adder to the recipe. I took my M's17, 14, and 625 to the range and shot 100rnds out of each of lead (smoky) bullets. I can say the cleanup was great. even the slight lead deposits on the cylinder face came off clean with a short soak and a little brusing.

I'm sold on the stuff. My is not red, though. I had 1/2 quart of semi-senthetic BMW, VW, Audi trans fluid that is actually amber in color, so my "red" turned out kind of yellow.

It cost a small fortune to by a quart of paint thinner and acetone and a gallon of K-1 Kerosene. A 14oz jar of lanolin was $14. I used 1/2 the lanolin and a quart of everything else. The lanolin took a while to melt. It took a day or so of shaking the can and waiting. I melted the lanolin in a pot of water on the stove, but as soon as the liquids hit it, it turned back into a thick paste (goo).

I poured off a pint in a mason jar. After a little while the mix will separate. Shake it up a bit and it's good to go. The stuff smell pretty good. When I was done, I didn't have to clean toxic chemicals off my guns. I just wiped them off and ran clean patches down the bores and charge holes.