View Single Post

Old 01-09-2011, 01:33 PM
US Veteran

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I definitely understand the need for quality. I also understand that quality normally costs more than inferior products. But in my opinion, when we're talking about mechanical sights, I think the quality vs cost issue is much narrower than glass optics and electro optics. For iron sights, my only quality concerns are that they don't break, loosen up, or fall off. There's not a lot of performance differences between a $30 sight and a $100 sight. Of course, personal preference might like the type of view of one iron sight over another. But that's just personal preference. Troy sights are definitely most likely the best. Just like aimpoint and EOTech are the best in the red dot / holo reflex world. But for iron sights, as long as they're metal; they firmly fit, and they don't loosen up or fall off, I am quite content with getting $20-$30 a piece sights. I think saying the willingness to get less expensive iron sights is akin to getting a cheaper AR15. But you do bring up a good point. There is no way in the world that I would buy a $1500+/- AR platform rifle. For my purposes and use, they would not do anything significantly better than my $650 M&P15 will do. It would simply be a waste of a lot of money for me. I'm not into shooting competitions where I need to shoot .5moa at 100 yards.

And I think that's where the big difference comes in. What are you wanting to do with the rifle? If it's competition, carbine classes, into programs like appleseed, etc... then you might really get into spending more money on your weapon. Nothing wrong with that. And what you do with the weapon is indeed important. I do a lot of long range hunting. "I live in wyoming". I have a leupold scope on one rifle, and Nikon on another, and a Zeiss. And i have paid in the $500 price range for all three. I easily shoot deer at 200 yards, but also go after moose, elk, antelope, and sheep at 300-400 yards. But in the same breath, my Sig P220 that I use for home defense or carry gun, doesn't need $250 Crimson Trace laser grips on them either. Some will say "it's my life I'm protecting". That's cool; but I don't need laser sights on a handgun to protect my life. Some might, I don't. So while I can see spending $500+ for sights on my hunting rifle, I can't see spending that on a sight for my AR. Especially considering what the chances are that it will be used to protect me or my family. "I'm not into the "Red-Dawn" or "Die Hard" theories. Home defense is most likely a pistol or shotgun. So most of my shooting of the AR will be plinking, targets, prairie dogs, etc... Basically the 100 yard world. Also as a backup for self/home defense. I really don't think I need to pay $200 for a set of iron sights. I don't believe I need to pay $100 for a set of iron sights. I believe that a set of metal sights for $50-$60 are quite adequate. But again; I'm not out shooting competition. Plus, I don't believe iron sights are as critical in the quality vs cost scenario. It's two pieces of metal. As long as they aren't bent, fit properly, don't loosen up or fall off; I'm fine with that level of quality.

But I do appreciate all the info. You all really have provided me with some good information about the mountings. I know what I need to get, in order to properly fit my rifle. Now it's just a matter of waiting until I see them. I don't need them immediately. The right sights at the right price will fall into my lap. Just like most of my weapons do. Thanks again for all the valuable information. Mike....

P.S. If you're ever looking for some very decent optics; rifle and red-dot; look into A1 Optics. They've been building optics for military, police, and security use since the 60's. In the last 10 years, they started selling in the retail market. They aren't the high-end optics, but you can get $100-$300 optics for $30-$120. Their website is A1optic.com . Although, they ONLY sell retail through thehuntersmall.com . Some people have bought large amounts of their optics, and sold them on ebay, but the company only sells retail through thehuntersmall. Anyway; if you're looking for decent optics, but don't want to spend $200-$500, but want something better than a walmart tasco (Which I have one that served me well), then A1optics might be a good choice. I have a few of their scopes. I bought my first about 6 years ago. They definitely aren't a fly by night company. And they ARE USA company.

Last edited by christcorp; 01-09-2011 at 01:56 PM.