View Single Post

Old 01-10-2011, 12:27 PM

Liked 5,215 Times in 2,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makumony View Post
I have just aquired a very nice 6" barrelled 686 .........
I am planning to use this one for USPSA Steel Challange shooting in the revolver class. I want to know if any of you have tried shooting .38 Super through your .357's. Mainly because I want to be able to use moon clips for quick reloading durring a match.
This whle approach has me thoroughly confused....and I'm a CRO. Let's look at the Steel CHallenge rules:

MAIN EVENT:
Open to any pistol firing 9mm/.38 Special or larger ammunition (see “ammunition”
above). This event has multiple categories as follows.
"OPEN REVOLVER”
Open Revolver has no restrictions for maximum rounds or use of optics.
“IRON SIGHT REVOLVER”
Iron Sight Revolvers may not use optics, however, 7 & 8 shot revolvers are permitted and
may load to full capacity. There are no barrel length or holster restrictions.
http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content...20dist2-17.pdf

The 6" barrel puts this gun in "Iron sight revolver" unless optic sights are added. Ordinary .38 Spl 120 power factor ammo meets the rules.
Why shoot .38 Super Ammo?? Higher vel? Only 750 fps required by the rules.
Fast reloads? There are five plates in a run, and only time counts; use your best run. If you have to reload, you are so screwed already on that run.

There is no catchall "revolver class" in the steel challenge.
The rules are:

Events/Match Structure:
Contestants compete within one or more “events” at a “match.”
Within each event, there are additional category awards available. Contestants may enter
each “event” several times, but only once in each “category.”

Suggest a reading of the categories will give a more realistic understanding of what the rules require.
Personally, I'd load that revolver with .38 special and shoot in "Iron Sighted Revolver" knowing that the 7 and 8 shot guns can afford more misses than I can.

Last edited by OKFC05; 01-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.