View Single Post

Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Liked 605 Times in 122 Posts

First, let's take a look. Below on the left are two rounds of .38 Super ammo. In the middle two of .38 Spl. and on the right .357 Magnum.

My first question would be why a fella would want to shoot the .38 Super from a revolver chambered for the .357. Seems a long wobbly trip for that round to make in the cylinder even before it reaches the throat. Seeing as how S&W makes a revolver chambered for .38 Super that may be an easier route to go if one is committed to shooting the Super from a wheelgun.

Now other questions follow from that, you are aware, I assume that a little work to the rear of the cylinder will enable you to use moon clips with .38/.357 ammo if you want. That operation is a common one for smiths to perform.

Very often fellas who are new to competitive shooting get told that if they want to reach the top echelons they will get the fastest reloads with moonclips. So some, rather than getting skillfull with speedloaders and building up their skills and speed, will bypass speedloaders entirely and hack the rear of their cylinders and go for moonclips. Some shooters believe they get speed from tools rather than skills and never really can get fast enough that the new tool makes a difference. But go the route that attracts ya.

To put the above a different way with a Safariland speed loader (which holds the rounds rigid unlike the HKS speedloaders and is also shorter) a fella can get quite fast and smooth. Especially is the mouths of the chambers are chamfered. If you find that only tenths of a second separate you from the top five shooters than moon clips can help ya make that next step.

The shorter length of the .38 Super offers an advantage in fast reloading with a moonclip, as it is the same length as the .45acp. But a fella would do well to make a dedicated cylinder for it if that much speed will make a difference.

I have never been one to shoot rounds from a gun that the gun was not built for. I have trouble enough without inviting it.

tipoc