View Single Post

Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Haggling is a lost art, or becoming one. Maybe they should find some old horse trader to teach it. So much going on, and that you should be aware of. Remember both of you have pride (and should be allowed to keep it.)

A big part includes the idea that you are a regular customer, or if you're a first time buyer with that seller. I've avoided the pawn shop venue because I'm not a customer. But the rules are the same as in a gun shop or with a gun show seller. If you are a repeat customer, the rules are just a little different. And you bring along all the baggage from prior negotiations, just as he does. Being courteous and polite isn't very expensive, so do it. And if you want or expect a continuing course of business, don't be overly concerned with making that last dollar. Once you get a reputation for being overly cheap, others won't respect you. Nor will they respect you if you pay way too much (you're a patsy.)

Some hard negotiators will bargain for every last cent. Maybe they're better at the game than me. I just don't care. If I get the price down to where I think its fair, I'll buy.

Don't bargain if you don't have the funds or aren't serious about buying. Nothing pisses someone off more than coming to a fair deal after 5 or 10 minutes of talk, then have the "buyer" walk away. There are times at gun shows where I've just asked a person who seems interested if he's really interested in buying, or just talking! One time I even got such a bad feeling after way too much talk I even made a pretty rude comment. I said you've had the chance to look at my gun, you've opened it, you've dry fired it, you've even looked down the bore with my borrowed bore light. Now lets look at the color and sizes of your money.

It staggered the poor guy. The essence of what I was asking was it's time to talk turkey. Talk is fine, but if you don't want my gun (or you run it down needlessly), walk away or buy.