View Single Post

Old 01-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Liked 78 Times in 51 Posts

I have a 4" S&W 629-4 and a 4 5/8" Ruger Super Blackhawk for direct comparison. If you shoot a single action correctly, i.e. by letting the grip shape work for you by allowing the gun to roll in your hand and dissipate some of the recoil energy, I find the SBH to be a bit easier to shoot, especially with heavier bullet weights. Recoil is much more noticeable to me with heavyweights in the 629. For standard weight bullets, there isn't enough difference to talk about. I prefer smooth wood grips on my SA for that reason, and although I generally keep wood on my 629 (Ahrends R to SqB) there is some advantage to Hogue fingergroove grips on it when shooting heavyweights. But I've also become more satisfied with shooting a good hardcast Keith style bullet of 240-250 grains in all of them at around 1100-1150fps more than any other of late as well.

With their respective favorite handloads, accuracy of either is on par. In fact, it is impossible to pick one over the other on that basis, as a good handload matched to the gun will do more than fine with either. I've never shot factory loads in either, but they both perform about equally well with equivalents to jacketed factory loads. Both really like Hornady XTPs, but the Rem 240JHP bullets driven to around 1300fps do very well out of both

As far as carrying them goes, either one carries well in a good holster. The SBH grip seems more out of the way carried a little further aft as a packin' pistol in a Tom Threepersons design holster, the S&W seems more readily available directly to my side. I like them both equally for the field. I usually carry the SBH if I feel the conditions are a bit more rugged, but the S&W feels good anytime.

A lot of folks may prefer a DA over a SA grip shape because of familiarity with what they shoot more often, or feel the DA offers a quicker first shot option. I think most of that is just speculation and familiarity rather than reality. You can shoot a SA pretty fast if you practice with it enough, and learning to cock it with your offhand thumb can put you back on target quickly for a follow up shot. Fast follow up shots with full powered 44Mag loads from a DA, while possible, are not so easy to master either. I find the SA grip to be a better pointing design for me, while the DA grip is better for a longer 'hold it steady' shape. Some people mention getting their middle finger knuckle smacked by the triggerguard with a SA grip shape, others comment on the thumb to forefinger and palm slap by a DA. It is a matter of hold, preferences and learning to shoot either correctly.

Last edited by VAdoublegunner; 01-13-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: additional info