View Single Post

Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 PM

Liked 322 Times in 141 Posts
Default UPDATING AN OLD THREAD: New to me Performance Center 3953

Just acquired and very cool! I love the single-stack 9mm's and threw a bid at it late in a GB auction without really researching it first. I was on my way out of the house and just happened to spot it with an hour left in the auction and several bids on it already, so I put a max bid $number on it and left. I came back later to find I had "won" it. It was listed as a "S+W Custom Shop 3953". I was hoping "Custom Shop" meant "Performance Center" but I wasn't sure until I picked it up. (Yeah, I guess I took a blind roll of the dice on it but I think it paid off.)

Pretty standard looking aluminum frame with hogue grips but has a blue (black) 4" (3904/5904?) slide. In the auction pics it was obviously 2-tone but I didn't realize it had a longer barrel until I picked it up. It's in the original box with a standard manual, no "PC" literature, and no significant markings on the gun identifying it as a PC gun except the PC serial number. (PCZ0xxx)

So, my question for you experts who can help: is there a standard list of improvements done to a 3rd Gen PC auto? In other words; I don't think they'd call it a PC just because they slapped a 3904 slide on a 3953 frame. So what else was most likely done to this gun by the Performance Center before it left the factory?

Looks very cool, feels great in the hand and has a slight "CCO" vibe to it with the extra length in the slide. Pics and range report will be coming but any information anyone can offer in the meantime would be appreciated.

Last edited by Jim PHL; 11-29-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Received letter from Mr. Jinx