View Single Post

Old 01-15-2011, 03:57 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,827 Times in 2,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg357 View Post
Dear Smith and Wesson Fourm i would like to hear some opinions from my fellow Forum members about the Walther ppk semi automatic pistol sincerely and respectfully mg357 a proud member of the Smith and Wesson Forum
The Walther PPK was designed in the 1920s or 30s, and is outdated and obsolete by any standard, having been surpassed by smaller, lighter and softer shooting pistols using the Browning tilting barrel recoil system instead of the straight blow back system of the PPK and other "pocket pistols" of the time. It does not seem to matter who makes the pistols, there are always reliability issues. When the West Germans had their trials in the 1970s to replace the Walther PPs then in use, the articles discussed the fact that the Walther-made pistols would not fire a full box of 50 rounds without malfunction. While that standard might have been fine then, it certainly does not measure up to today's standards.

That said, the allure of the PPK continues, I think, mostly in part due to the fact that everyone wants the "James Bond PPK."

The best way to get a Walther is to get one of the really nice engraved ones Smith and Wesson is selling now. Show it to all of your friends and keep it in its case. If you want to carry a light .380, get a Ruger LCP or, if S&W ever manages to get its act together, then the new .380 Bodyguard, but only after the considerable bugs are worked out. Once S&W gets the bugs worked out, one without the integral laser seems like a good idea.

An even better idea seems to be the new crop of mini-9mm pistols, such as the new Ruger LC9 or the Walther PPS.

Last edited by shawn mccarver; 01-15-2011 at 04:00 PM.