Thread: Ivory Grips
View Single Post

Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
When you order a set of ivory grips, do you have to send the gun to the maker so the grips will fit well, or will you have to fit them yourself?
It depends on the maker. Don Collins doesn't have an FFL, which is required if he takes the gun to fit the grips. He just makes them a shade oversize (or has in the past with ivory) and you get to do the final fitting.

Years ago I bought a set of grips for a Python from Jim Alaimo. He laughed at my hesitation to do the final fitting. He told me unless I was a total klutz, it was easy. He was right. He even supplied me with a tool kit do to it. Just a few women's nail files/emery boards. The ones with foam core centers. Ivory works like ivory soap. The biggest problem is the constant fitting and removal.

I learned to "work scared". Never more than a few strokes and test fit them again. Then the polish can be Flitz or Simichrome. With a dremel tool and cloth wheel, it looks like polished plastic it comes up so fast. A thing of beauty.

The problem with sending your gun away is its costly, like UPS next day can be $50 each direction. And then the worker may not have you first in line. Meaning it might take him months to get yours finished.