View Single Post

Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Points Well Made

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman86 View Post

....also my other pet peeve, the idiots who want to take things away from us can never use the right terminology, it's always "bullets" and "clips" instead of rounds and magazines......

I do not consider a semi-auto handgun that uses "issue" mags as being "hi-cap"......in other words, my CZ-85b uses 15 round mags, my Hi-Power uses 13,my Glock 17 takes a 16 round mag, my CZ-83 .32 takes a 15 round mag. That's what they were made for. A "hi-cap" mag, IMO is an "extended" mag like a 32 rounder.
YES! These are excellent points!

Regarding the comment on terminology, I am not sure that the term "assault weapon" is technically accurate. I have never seen the term in any firearms literature. I suspect it is a media fabrication; by using "weapon," media have a word that would have greater emotional impact than "rifle," and it could be used to cover any firearm they wanted.

My understanding is that the term assault rifle is derived from the WWII German Sturmgewehr ("storm rifle," or in English "assault rifle") 44, and that "assault rifle" currently refers to rifles that are intended for ranges of 300 yards or less, whereas "battle" rifle describes rifles intended for use at distances of more than 300 yards. I have never read of an "assault weapon" outside mass media circles. I ask that our military friends and firearms historians on the forum clarify this; they certainly are more knowledgeable that me.