View Single Post

Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman86 View Post
I always thought the Police Positive was a nearly ideal size for a 4" .38 revolver. I have one but it seems Colt forgot to regulate the sights, it hits so far to the right and low it might as well not have sights. If I could find another 4" PP that shoots to POA I would use it as a CC piece.

Other than that, Colts don't shoot any better than S&W for me to notice. I am too set in my ways as a S&W guy to ever become a "Colt guy", although I wouldn't turn down another nice Police Positive or an Official Police.

All the stories of Colts going out of time after 10,000 rounds kinda scare me off too.......so whenever I think of picking up a Colt, I just buy another S&W

If you have a Colt that is a pre-MK III that holds its timing to 10,000 rounds, you have an exceptional gun.

The cylinder timimg issue and the way that so few Colts shoot to the sights has put me off of them.

But I did own a very accurate .45 New Service made about 1935-36 that shot right alongside of a M-29 S&W. Usually, the S&W's shoot more to the sights and at least as tightly.

I once owned both a four-inch M-19 and a Colt Trooper .357 with the same barrel length. The Smith shot tighter groups. But the Colt was at least sighted well It did, of course, have adjustable sights that I dialed in for my eyes and hold. But a Diamondback had sights that didn't have enough range of adjustment to get the groups on the bullseye. A Colt spokeswoman told me to use Kentucky windage! I haven't bought a Colt since.

I like their .45 autos better and some of the current ones are very nice.

Last edited by Texas Star; 01-17-2011 at 09:11 PM.