View Single Post

Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts

Yep that box in the bottom picture is the one. When I look at that picture it looks a little green to me too. The 2 maroon boxes on the left in the top picture are the patent or display boxes that S&W used on all of their revolvers from the mid 20s to the early 1930s. The two on the right are both the mustard yellow/green boxes we have been talking about also. The one 2nd from the right has gotton wet and taken on a mottled almost fuzzy surface texture. I have had several like that. I have a 38 New Departure box where the surface looks more like mottled velvet than cloth. It doesn't show obvious signs of being wet other than that so I think it may have suffered long term surface dampness rather than being soaked.
Mike is being modest in his post above. He has shared box information with me freely.
It is thought that S&W didn't start putting the grip warning message in the bottom of the boxes until the early 1900s. They didn't make the pearl and ivory medallion grips until the mid to late 1890s so it would have been pointless until then.
I don't know why I have been so fixated on the boxes. But, if only 5 to 10 percent of the old guns made of hard steel have survived, what percent of the boxes have?
Mark