View Single Post

Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 PM

Liked 336 Times in 138 Posts

Personal belief from work observations:

People, especially the younger generation, have traded accuracy for capacity. Prior to the early 80's, police and virtually everyone else carried six rounds in the gun and maybe a spare six rounds if you were LEO.

The gangbangers went to using cheap high capacity 9mm guns and the police felt outgunned and went to a better quality 9mm. In essence they were wanting the same ammo the street gangs had.

Ok, enter the late 90s and the advent of better calibers and they drop their round count down to maybe 12-14.

The civilians began reasoning their magazines may fail so they need 2 spares.

People pays little attention to what happened in the past as to # of shots fired during altercations. They want to be prepared for what they will encounter. As several great gun experts have said, it only takes one shot when properly placed.

I go into areas of towns that most here would not consider but it is in the nature of the job and I am generally alone.

My gun is a 1911 in .45acp. If I wear a side holster, I have one 8 round magazine in the gun and no spares. If I have a shoulder holster, I carry two spare mags, not for use but rather holster balance.

I trust my equipment. It is the best money can buy. I trust my shooting and while not the best shot in the world, I can hold my own under stress and yes, it has been proven in the past.

Shot placement is more crucial than number of rounds or caliber. If shot placement is marginal, then caliber choice will make a difference. The number of rounds will not be needed because the shooter will likely be hit before they can change a magazine. People do not always have cover at the time they need their gun. The last time I needed mine, I was 100 feet from a car, 50 feet from the nearest dwelling or any concealment and next to one man with an open knife and another facing me with a gun in his waist band.

The winner in a firefight is the one that practices the most and keeps calm, not the one with the most ammo. Since the first fire is the one that counts, if a magazine fails, the shooter has lost the battle already.

Just saying.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: