View Single Post

Old 01-22-2011, 03:51 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Just some comments....

Yes, it seems a bit high, but prices are regional. In some places there is a real drought and it might be what they sell for there. Remember there are a lot of gun nuts left who don't use computers. There also might be something special about the gun. Ask the seller. Be polite and don't do it in a way that will offend him (being polite costs nothing). But ask him why the price is where it is, and that you've seen other similar guns for less. If there's something special, he'll tell you. Could be the former or original owner was famous, etc.

Prices on Outdoorsman are climbing. A few years ago I was selling some and was happy to get $600 or $700 for pretty darn nice ones. Now you get a messed with half worn out one for that. We even laughed at box prices when they went north of $100. Then one of our members here (Dewey) put up a post commenting on a box off Ebay for $250 or $300, I forget which. We had a field day laughing about it. Turns out it was a pretty good box and these days its what they sell for. A nice gun in even a raggedy old box increases that much over the gun alone.

A box, papers, wipers and screwdriver adds about a thousand bucks to the asking price (box $300, screwdriver $700), give or take.

Of course last year we put one of our members here (GF) onto a very nice Outdoorsman, engraved to a famous individual. The seller wanted out of the gun badly enough that it went for about $500. I didn't want the gun, but I wanted somebody we knew to get it. We had pictures here a while back.