View Single Post

Old 01-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Liked 49,000 Times in 9,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoontz View Post
I believe I recall it being mentioned that at least the finish is sometimes represented on the box and maybe the barrel length as well. Can anyone verify or show a picture of how the box might be labeled or marked, if it is? Thanks.
Nope.
I believe you are thinking of the post-war Gold boxes. They always have the barrel length and finish printed on the ends.

The pre-war blue and red "Picture Boxes" are not printed beyond the model name. It is the same with all the pre-war "Picture Boxes"- the HD's, the Reg Mag's (and Non-Reg's), the OD's in 22 and 38, and the K-22 Masterpiece. Just the model name and the pictures on top.

The serial numbers on these boxes is written on a piece of white paper tape glued on the bottom, usually on one end, but occasionally in the center (probably because Sally was sick that day, and Joe filled in). Since the Reg Mags varied in barrel length so much, the length is occasionally written on the tape with the serial number. I won't say you will never find a grease pencil notation of some special feature on the end or bottom of a picture box, but I don't recall seeing one. For example, pre-war NICKEL Heavy Duties are very rare, special order guns, and it would not surprise me if the end or bottoms had "Nickel" written in grease pencil, or had a paper label saying "Nickel" glued on.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: