View Single Post

Old 01-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I had cataract surgery on both eyes a while back and chose to have near perfect distance vision and continue to wear glasses for reading and computer work.

YMMV, but I find glasses that bring the sights into sharp focus at arms length, throw the target so far out of focus at anything beyond ~7 yards, that hitting anything smaller than a softball is more accidental than intentional.

I haven't tried the Camera Obscura trick yet, but I've gone to plano lenses in my eye protection and have been learning to shoot at clear targets through slightly fuzzy sights.

What has helped me the most so far is adding a light-colored "U" to the rear blade and a small light-colored dot to the front blade of the open sights that don't already have them, or something similar.

If I was going to shoot competitively, I would most likely try some other things, but shooting for fun, like I do, clear targets and fuzzy sights are good enough for my purposes.

Also, I haven't seen this method mentioned yet. Jerry Miculek has one lens for near vision, one lens for distance vision and keeps both eyes open.

John
John
just for the heck of it try putting a BB size hole in a piece of paper with a pencil and hold the paper up to your face and then look down at your sights and pick a target to point your sights at about 20 feet away and see if that works. it sure works for my old eyes. boy that was a long breath.