View Single Post

Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
I didn't read all the posts so I apologize if this is duplication.

The OP said he was a trap and skeet shooter. This can work to your advantage. You are accustomed to focusing on the target, not the sights of a shotgun. If you've ever shot moving targets with a handgun, the same technique works.

It also works for stationary targets. Since my first guns were shotguns, I acquired the "bad" habit of shooting with both eyes open, always watching the target, not focusing on sights. These habits carried over into handgun shooting and I've always used the same technique, regardless of what open sight weapon I was firing.

When you're shooting at a moving target, you don't really have time to focus on the sights, fire, then refocus on the target to see if you hit it, then come back to the sights for another shot if necessary. I just stayed focused on the target until it was hit. The sights were "there", somewhere in the picture but I know I do not focus on them. Which is good, now, because I couldn't focus on them if I wanted to.

You (nor I) won't win any benchrest competitions using this technique but you will be surprised at the tiny targets you can hit, just by using shotgun aiming technique. I have a .22 Browning rifle that I don't think I've ever seen the rear sight, yet hitting a beer can at 50 or 60 yards is no big deal. Keeping both eyes open is very important. Sometimes when the light is right, you can see the bullets in flight. When you do, you know you didn't blink.

Try it. You've got nothing to lose but keep in mind it will not come overnight.
Thank you for your observations I will try your idea.