Thread: Krags in WW1?
View Single Post

Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 PM

Liked 9,184 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALADIN85020 View Post
My understanding is that Krags were widely used as National Guard arms, and also for training when 1903s and 1917s were not available. I really doubt that any went overseas during WWI, as ammunition logistics would have been a rough thing.

As a side note, I have pictures of my dad in high school ROTC; their training rifles were Krags. He graduated from HS in 1928.

John
A guy I used to know in FidoNet told me the following story. I have no reason to doubt him.

Preparatory to the "Torch" landings a National Guard unit was embarking on a troop ship. I think they were from Minnesota.

A regular Army officer was taking the count as they went up the gang plank when he noticed that one of them was carrying a "funny" rifle. On closer examination, the rifle turned out to be a Trapdoor Springfield. Then the OIC noticed that they ALL had Trapdoors. Astonished, the OIC stopped the boarding to investigate.

One of the members of the unit was questioned as to why they were carrying "antiques". Apparently, they didn't have any confidence in the Krags that shot those "little" bullets, and kept their Trapdoors. After the Krags, they'd never been issued anything else.