View Single Post

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 3,275 Times in 1,282 Posts

"And as I sit here and think about it, most of the AD stories I can think of involve Glocks. Weird..."

Well, understandable because Glocks have been the most purchased semiauto handgun in the U.S. for quite a while, especially among those who carry a gun the most, cops, with who they are wildly popular. Although though my department issues something else, 7 of the 8 current officers in my squad carry them even though they had to buy them if they wanted them. The other fellow carrries an M&P (department issue) and I carry a Colt 1911 type (Commander).

Also, taking a Glock apart to clean it involves pulling the trigger while the gun is still fully assembled.

As to the original point of the thread, yes, that is wierd. Glocks are normally as reliable as anything else made currently, simple to use and usually still work while filthy dirty.

One disturbing practice I have noticed in police ammunition issue: Many departments will use up the duty ammo the officers have been carrying for a while during a qualification or training shoot, and then issue new carry ammo at the end of the class. The officers load it up and go back to work. It isn't unusual for officers to be issued ammo from a new production lot or batch and nobody knows that the new batch is good until either the next training shoot or until an officer shoots some of it during an encounter and experiences a problem. If there is a problem with that ammo batch, no one may find out about it for a long time.

Sure, the firearms staff should do some random testing of any new batch of ammo before issuing it, including a chronograph test, but few departments do consistently.

Twice during the 20 years I have carried a .45 ACP, my department has changed the specific load they issued for .45's. Changes were within the same brand and bullet weight, from Federal Hydro-Shock with the post, to the more rounded bullet without the post and in Plus-P, and then to the bonded bullet in Plus-P. Each time, I asked, "How do I know this is going to work in MY gun?" Blank looks, followed up with, "Because it's good ammo" or "It works in the 9's; we shot some" or such. Which didn't answer the question, "How will it work in MY gun?" I would ask for an extra box of 50 to go shoot right then, but the stuff is expensive and they never did. I always went to a commercial source and bought some myself and tested it, but it is never from the same production lot the department has. Even with all department ammo, and even if it is the same style and loading the department issued before, it is rare they give me ammo from the same lot as the old ammo I just shot up.

I can see why; in my department, officers will be carrying duty guns in .380, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, in multiple models of guns from Glock, Sig-Sauer, S&W, Springfield (XD), Beretta and Colt. The only way to verify that everybody's ammo will work in everybody's guns is to give them 50 or 100 rounds to shoot right now, and then if that works, issue them more from the same production lots to take back to work. That is expensive, using up twice the high priced JHP duty stuff we use now. Yes, the extra premium duty stuff would reduce the amount of ball purchased and used to train with, but that ball is a lot cheaper to shoot.

I hope the Saint Pete's P.D. finds out what caused the problem quickly. When you need your gun, you need to have confidence it is going to work, because you have other concerns needing your immediate attention.

May God watch over your kids, Jimmy, as well of the rest of us.

Last edited by BUFF; 02-02-2011 at 09:31 AM.