Thread: m&p Failure's
View Single Post

Old 02-06-2011, 01:59 AM

Liked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Smile

Ouch.... 62000 rounds, at one visit per week, comes out to about 1200 rounds/visit.

That could hurt....

Still, the gun should be able to take that. While I agree with the folks who said "send it back" instead of fire it some more, the pics I saw indicate that it probably would have been safe enough. The bullet is contained in the barrel, and the barrel and breech probably are still locked up well enough. The slide staying on the frame may be an interesting question, but there probably is enough contact to hold things together.

My own experience - I tend to shoot just a few magazines worth through several guns per (weekly) range visit - is more like 50 rounds per week, or about 2,500 a year. Small potatoes v.s. 62,000, but I doubt if I'll wear it out.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I used to be in the plastics business. Part of the time (early 60's, actually) was in QC, and I got to play with some interesting "engineering" plastics. Presuming S&W picked the right one, you probably could make the barrels out of it.... (Or at least support a lightweight metal rifled portion.) They can warp if thermally abused (which is likely), or if the wrong material is chosen, but generally can hold up fairly well.

Still, the designer, and a little bit of luck, is necessary to get maximum results. But often the result is some laughably flimsy looking components can usually do the job.

And you can self-hinge, self-lubricate, and all kinds of other fun things, too.

I wonder what would happen if you could come up with an all-plastic barrel? Betcha the Brady's would have a fit....

Regards,