View Single Post

Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 114 Times in 32 Posts

Hi Mitch D,
Short chambering a 22 RF or chambering a barrel with 0 free bore will improve the accuracy of a good barrel. It's like "Breech Seating" a center fire rifle bullet and is still done today by a lot of the top Schuetzen Shooters. In most guns it will give about a 30 % increase in accuracy over standard fixed ammo with lead bullets. This cant be done with jacketed bullets, only lead. One of the small problems that was encountered in the early 1900's was that most target 22 RF ammo did not have a crimped in the case bullet, a lot of times if you did not want to shoot the shot and had to un-load the gun the bullet would get stuck in the rifling, and if you were not careful you would end up with a lot of powder in the action of the gun when the case got extracted. I don't like to think I'm a "wuss" but I shoot a 0 free bore 22 RF and in a 60 shot match it does do a job on your thumb when trying to seat the shell flush with the back of the chamber so I use a "wusse" shell pusher.

When breech seating a lead bullet in a rifle the full length of the bullet is seated into the rifling to within a 1/16 of an inch or less just in front of the chamber, usually with a mechanical breech seating tool, then a primed case of the right powder with a wad in the mouth of the case so the powder does not spill out is inserted into the chamber and your ready to shoot.

This may sound like a long procedure but it can be done a lot faster than I can type it. Some of the Schuetzen Shooters use only one case and load it over and over again right at the range, it does take longer if done that way, but a lot pre charge there cases at home like any other re-loader would do, when there ready to shoot, they breech seat the bullet insert the charged case and shoot. If your at a Schuetzen Shoot to just have a good time, socialize, drink German beer, etc. then shooing fixed ammo will work for you as it will make noise like any other ammo. But if your at the shoot to win, breech seating would be the way to go, unless you already drank to much of that German beer.
Regards
H. M. Pope

Last edited by H. M. Pope; 02-09-2011 at 10:16 PM.