View Single Post

Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 AM
US Veteran

Liked 134 Times in 58 Posts

BW460,

First you made a mistake in thinking you can only fire three types of rounds in it. Its four as you forgot the .45 Schofield (US Army shorten the .45 Colt to fit the S&W Schofield revolver in the 1870s). I've only once fired the 460 firing the Colt, Casull and 460 rounds. This was a year and a half ago before I deployed, no issues.

Now I've reloaded for decades now. My suggestion would to keep the different length cases for easy identification of your loads (light, med, full thorttle). One big issue with of making Colt equivalent loads in the 460 case would be a possibility of double charging or too light of a charge no seated next to the primer in that big case. This can increase pressure to dangerous levels. You could add a pitch of loft/dacron to the charge to keep it near the primer for ignition but that to me is inconvinent.

I used to have a tool for my K frame that had six bore brushes on one rod. Open cylinder and insert, scrub a few passes after shooting lots (ie hundards) of .38 SPL cases and then shoot .357 Mags. Never had an issue with the Models 13/19/65/66s or shooting .44 SPLs in my .44 Mag Smith 29. I do load several power levels in the .41 mag but keep good notes and mark the boxes well (not near the difference in this case however)