View Single Post

Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 PM

Liked 3,831 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Looked over your link. Sounds interesting, but I can see some bad habits coming from this in favor of sighting-scoring on target. Many pocket guns have sights (if you call it that) and are utilized for quick shots, short distances at a humans K-zone to disable a BG. Many of us prefer the point shooting (unsighted fire) with our compacts...An example of what I'm referring to...Some time back, Michael Bane on a TV "Guns-Ammo" IIRC, was illustrating firing at an extremely close range, almost arms length. He pulled his pistol in a classic Weaver w/two hand sighted fire and blasted away. I almost fell out of my chair..In reality, the time it took for him to do all this; he was a goner from a knife or pistol attack. I believe he thought he was doing the right thing (might have been at GunSite in AZ); but didn't let his instincts kick in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post
David, I'm not knocking this organization; just added a few caveats. Look at it this way, most pocket pistols by definition are small; hence smaller parts-distances of movement, etc. It must be almost perfect for total reliability. Being a competitor, some will try to enhance their accuracy by tinkering with trigger, handloads, etc. IMHO, will cause diminishing returns in reliability if it's used for street carry. If not for that purpose; get after it: sounds like fun...
In my experience you need to know how to use the sights because not everything happens at arms length. Point shooting has it's merits but to ignore marksmanship skills with a particular gun makes no sense. I suppose it would make a good excuse when your score sucks though.

I've had no trouble qualifying with my BUGs - j frames and Kel-tecs - from 3 to 25yds and all of them have been proven 100% reliable without any tinkering or tweaking.

Should a club in my area start holding such events I'd certainly give them a try. I enjoy shooting IDPA with my duty gun and gear and feel that any trigger time can be good practice.