View Single Post

Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Liked 207 Times in 100 Posts

Well this is what I have been looking for for a long time and Bad_Man_One looks like a great canidate to make this project work. We can only hope that BM1 can produce barrels of even better tollerances and qualities given his expertise and back round. I hope and pray for his success in this endevor and will buy some barrels from him.

I for one have the Bar-Sto Match Grade 40S&W and 9x25 Dillon 5.00" conversion barrels for my S&W1006. From a handloader & target shooting standpoint it only makes since to get the 40S&W conversion barrel for the 10xx series. Cheaper and more readily avalible ammo and plenty brass around to play with for handloading...

I had to hand fit both of these to my slide and frame to get the fit proper. But I must say the fit was ever so close from Bar-Sto for the 40S&W...it only needed a light stoning on the flat surface where the barrel rides up over the slide lock pin. Barrel hood width and length were precise on the 40S&W barrel.

Now about the 9x25 Dillon, this was more of a challenge, first off the width of the barrel hood required some thinning to fit the slide notch. The end of the barrel hood required trimming for the barrel to achieve proper lock up without excess clearance. Then as with the 40 barrel the underside of the barrel need to be dressed (filed & then polished with a stone and oil) where it rides over the slide stop pin. Bar-Sto had messed up the tiny notch where the recoil rod latches and this needed to be reworked and the chamber needed to be final reamed after the barrel was fitted to the slide. I sent the barrel to Mr. Van at The Gunworks, 1329 1st St, Sandusky, OH and he performed the reaming and rework of the recoil rod notch for me. He did a great job getting my barrel setup...many Thanks Van!

Both of these barrels have worked/functioned very well and are accurate. The cartridges do feed properly from the stock S&W 10mm magazines. However the 9x25Dillon's performance suffers slightly from the 5.00" barreland would better from a longer 6.00" barrel. I will say that the 9x25 Dillon cartridge requires some attention to details while handloading for it...the most critical is the sizing for proper head spacing which should be 0.002" +/- and maintaining tight bullet fit to eliminate setback issues...

In my conversation with BM1 last night it would be nice to get 6.00" barrel into the slide, but he is going to have to check on clearance issues to verify whether the longer barrel will slide thru the barrel bushing as that will be the limiting factor...machining or threading of the extended portion of the barrel might allow for some clearance to achieve this idea. However this will have to be up to him to consider this undertaking. The 10mm and especially the 9x25 Dillon would benifit form the extra barrel length greatly.

I want to add the 357Sig barrel to my collection just because of the potential and vesitility, I love the concept of adding it to the finest S&W 10mm pistols made...1006/1026/1046 and the 1066/1076/1086.

Therefore for those of you who have ever wished or considered the conversion barrel for your 10xx series pistol, stay tuned to this project. Like BM1 has stated this maybe the only chance we have for this to happen.

Last edited by Shadow1006; 02-16-2011 at 06:46 PM.