View Single Post

Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 PM

Liked 4,655 Times in 1,054 Posts

I have not and do not buy "collector guns". I buy shooters of various condition. It's always nice to find an all-original package, but that is more the exception than the rule for most of us.

I love my N frames (who doesn't) and over the past few years have gone out of my way to acquire smooth factory presentation target grips for practically all my N and K frames. Many of the guns I bought had beat up grips or goodyears when they came to me and Lord only knows how many hands they had gone through since they wore their original grips. A few that had numbered or original grips I made sure to hang on to them and keep them with the gun. I would assume most buyers will want the original grips if available if I decide to sell that particular piece.

As far as the presentation grips . . . ., when I sell or trade a revolver, I generally offer the nice grips with it - if the buyer is willing to pay the premium for the upgrade. Anyone who thinks they 'deserve' a nice set of presentation grips at the price just the gun generally sells for is in for a rude awakening. When you have to shell out $75 to $150 for a nice set of grips you're a fool if you sell them for nothing just because they're on the gun. I don't think that's what the OP was talking about and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but especially since the market has softened a bit, the jackals are out looking for something for nothing. Mine are all paid for, they don't eat anything, and if I decide to sell one it's because I want something else, not because I have to sell it. One of these days, I may list a whole bunch of nothing but various N and K frame presentation grips for sale. Depends on how close to retirement I get and the mood I'm in

Having said that, I've sold a couple here that had the original finger grooved 'combat' grips on them and knew I could have parted them out and gotten a few bucks more, since the guns were valued enough that the sale was sure. But I chose not to do that. I don't necessarily condemn someone who does, but I personally choose not to do it. Everyone knows or should know that the vast majority of S&W's (or Colts or whatever) sold 15 years or more ago that were actually bought to use rarely ever stayed with their original grips. Just didn't occur to most folks that it was important . . . .