View Single Post

Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Liked 576 Times in 120 Posts
Default Silhouette shooting questions.

I would like to ask some questions to those with experience in silhouette shooting.

Within 2 years I hope that our club is expanded with a 100 meters range. I have the plan to introduce handgun silhouette shooting on our club.
That is something that is not shot very much here in Holland, Europe and not at all near me.

For myself I am already looking into the right gun. It will be a S&W revolver. Since these revolvers are not offered in great numbers here I should take my opportunity when it comes.
About the type and barrel length I am not sure about. Because of the different distances I think a four position front sight is a must. (I would like to shoot scopeless)

I know for years that there are 8 3/8 versions of the 14, 17, the 686 and (6)29. Recently I saw a 29 (Internet, not for sale) with 10 5/8 and that was new for me.
The four position front sight was only offered (I think?) on the 29 and 686. That leaves me the choice of the 686 6"and 8 3/8" and (6)29 6" 8 3/8"and 10 5/8"

The first question then is, does one caliber has a advantage above the other?

The longer the barrel, the better the sight radius. But I think the difference between 4" and 6" will have more effect as the difference between 8 3/8 and 10 5/8. A longer barrel will have a higher velocity, also important I think.

So my second question: Are there successful silhouette shooters with 6" barrels or should I simply go for a 8 3/8? Or even better a 29 with 10 5/8?

Personally I am a fan of the L-frame (little hands, N frame is big) so a 686 8 3/8 is what I am thinking of. But I am open for all S&W revolvers based on your advices!

One other question about the four position. Is there much difference in the adjusted hight for the three shooting distances? I ask that because I do shoot target matches at 11, 27 and 55 yards with my .22 pistol. I do not have to adjust in hight as my fellow shooters do not too.
If it does not matter that much a normal revolver would be a good start? I have a standard a 6" 617 and 686.

All advice and thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Jeroen

P.s. Sorry for the length of my posting.