View Single Post

Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
About the self indexing progressive loaders....... Where double charges can ocurr is either through powder bridging in the measure/load tube (when it finally drops, the charge weight is unknown) or, the more likely situation, where the machine baulks at some point. This generally results in some pumping of the operating lever and some wiggling of the feed mechanism/shell plate to free the malfuntion. This can result in multiple powder dumps into whatever case is in the powder feed position at the time.
That's what I did a couple years back while loading .45acp for my Kimber. I was setup using TiteGroup and was having shell plate sticking issues. Looking back I can't say why I never bothered to check the cases in the queue - but i should have.
As a result - i did blow up my Kimber 1911 and was very lucky to only have rec'd a few tiny pieces of metal in my nose and face (small enough that most fell out on their own within a week - but one is still lodged in my nose - but it's the size of a period -> .

I've reloaded many rifle rounds since then using the turret press however I'm still leery about firing up the progressive press again. I know what changes I'll make next go around - but seeing the look on my (then) 8 month pregnant wife when i came home from the range with my pistol in a baggie, soot on my hands and face and a wee bit of blood on my nose was enough to give pause and evaluate my reloading process and think twice before i start it up again.