View Single Post

Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 AM

Liked 331 Times in 221 Posts

In the original post it was mentioned Older Blued guns compaired to newer Stainless ones.

I think older Smith & Wessons were put together with a little more care in Pre 1970 days. I started buying S&W revolvers in the 1970's used. I seemed to think they were all pretty well made at the time. Several of these guns were made in the 1950's and 1960's.
Then I started seeing some pretty sloppy Smiths. Probably in the early 1980 If I remember correctly. Not sure when they would have been made. I seem to remember S&W was bought out, and quality took a drop for a while.

I have all stainless steel Smiths at the moment. I have no complaints with any of them. With that said, I have checked all of them out before buying, except my 610 No Dash that I ordered.

I looked at a Stainless 22 magnum at a gun show that I was told was made in 1984 a while back. It did not look to have been used much. The cylinder lock up was really bad. Probably as bad as any worn out revolver I have ever had my hands on.

While new Stainless guns seem to be pretty good. I think clean Old Blued Smiths from the 50's and 60's were a little better.

Just My 2 Cents

Bob